Sunday, October 28, 2007

When I'm sitting in my dorm room I look around at some of things in here, and I see how poorly designed they are. My remote control has realy bad mapping. All the buttons are the same size, which makes it hard to push the correct one if you are fumbling around with it in the dark. Also, the labeling of the buttons is extremely difficult to use. All the numbers are printed really small below the buttons except the ones at the very top of the remote. So when I turn it on it is labeled above the button, but when I put in the channel number it is labeled below the button. I am constantly putting in the wrong channel which gets frustrating. Another thing that has poor design is the microwave in my room. I got it before I went to college, and I had never used it before. The first time I went to use it, I found that there is no time cook button. I discovered that you just input the time, which seems pretty obvious but I am used to there being a time cook button. Another problem is when you are putting in the power level. On microwaves that I have used, you usually put 10 in for high. This microwave is not like that, you have to push the 0 button. This is very illogical because you would think that 0 means no power. These are few things that having very bad mapping. I like the fact that I can analyze many objects and their design. I think about why it is a good product or why it is a bad one.

No comments: